Pages

October 27, 2016

How to Give Your Dining Room A Farmhouse Style ~ with what you Already Have


So here she is today in all her glory!  Well, maybe not glory.  But to me, it sure feels like it after what we started with.  It's been a long process to get it where it is today.  I don't have the budget to buy things all new.  But more importantly, I love things that are unique or have sentimental value.  Our home is supposed to reflect our family and who we are.  That means something different to everyone, but to me...it means family.

Let's go back to our before photo from the night we put an offer on the house.


You are looking at a room with red wall paint and a green painted beadboard wainscoting installed around the room.  The wainscoting is missing the finishing 'cap' or trim at the top of it.  It's just a raw edge of the beadboard you can buy at your local home improvement store.  

So, naturally...we started with paint.

 This was a great improvement in and of itself.  I picked this color for the whole interior of the house to just give it a blank slate as we were moving in.  It's called Pavillion Beige by Sherwin Williams.  

Here is a link to my Pinterest page where I first saw and saved it many moons ago, as I was dreaming of the day we would buy this home. 


I'd like to tell you that the rest of it just magically came together, but it took some time.  Most of our furniture was dark and we didn't have alot to fill up the room either.


Wow...just looking at this photo is crazy to me!  I can't believe how much it has changed!!!  You know how you don't notice something when it gradually changes daily over time?

The next thing I did was paint the buffet.  I used a chalk paint and lightly distressed it.  I didn't take any photos of this in process.  Well, you can see some in the background of this next photo.  We also sold our dark dining room table.  I had bought a table from a friend years before that needed some refinishing.  This was the perfect room for it.





And here is the before and after shots of the table we refinished!  You can find the full tutorial by clicking the link below.


Here is a quick before and after so you get the idea.


Next on my list was the 'cap' or trim for the top of the wainscoting that was never installed by the previous owners.  We decided to go with something as close as we could get to the trim around the doors in the house.

This was one of those projects we had the matrials sitting in the garage for what seemed like forever and not enough time.  So one day, I decided to do it while my hubby was at work and surprise him!  I think it turned out pretty good :).   He wasn't surprised though, I'm not sure anything could surprise him anymore.



I just painted the trim to match the wainscoating after it was installed.

Another thing that bothered me in this room was the chandelier.  It just felt so dated.  I love that farm house family look so much and a new light just wasn't in the budget.  So....we turned OURS into a more classic style you find in many stores today....but for FREE!  Just a few alterations and some good ole' Rustoleium Spray Paint.  You can check out what I like to use on metal in the link below.



And after changing out a rug here and there, making some curtains, adding some inexpensive candles and garage sale finds like crates and barrels...oh and fresh greens from outside every chance I can get.....

We have a COMPLETELY different look!

Remember the BEFORE shots?



Here she is today!  Do people name dining rooms like they do cars??  What should I name her?


The large barn door looking thing on the left is a sliding barn door in the progress of being hung.  All the details on that baby coming soon!






This room to me, reflects our family.  The buffet was given to me by my mom.  It was given to her by my dad once upon a time on HIS birthday of all things.  It took me a long time to get up the nerve to paint it, and I even asked my mom for permission...but this way we get to truly enjoy it many more years.  This table design is a big square that seats everyone facing each other equally...as a family.  There is a handmade sign that my oldest daughter made me in a corner that says "With God All Things Are Possible".  Also, the cross was given to me by my husband on mothers day, and reminds us we are saved by his Amazing Grace.  This room, is where our family and friends now make memories.  It's where I get to start and end my days with some of the people who matter most.

Thank you for sharing my journey with me.  I know it seems like alot, and if it overwhelms you...you are not alone.  Take it one step at a time.  One thing at a time.  Just like how I wrote about this makeover.  First, we painted.  Next, we did the buffet...and so on.  You CAN do it.  You CAN create a room that inspires you to be the best that you can be.  A room you get to start and end YOUR day in.  A room you can make many more years of memories in.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you've done with your dining room Heather!! Loved your comment about getting up the nerve to paint that beautiful buffet - not sure I could do that!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive