Pages

October 24, 2016

Mama's Banana Bread


One of the first things my mama taught me how to make as a little girl was banana bread.  To this day it's one of my favorites and a true comfort food in this household.  For some reason, I don't make it much until Fall comes around.  And then I don't make it past spring.  It's not intentional at all.  I don't tend to be one of those people who stick with seasonal foods.  For example, we BBQ on the grill here year round... and this is Oregon.  But there are definitely certain foods that don't taste the same to me unless you have them during the right time of the year.  And well, fall happens to be my most favorite season of all.

I do believe in cooking with the cleanest most organic foods that we can.  I try to buy organic local foods whenever possible.  Also, the least amount processed that I can if not at all.  But there are some things that making yourself (such as flour?), are just not realistic in this household.

I usually make banana bread when the bananas are starting to brown.  Nobody here will eat them, but they are not yet rotten.  The sweetness is at it's prime and they really 'make' the flavor in the banana bread.

So it all starts with a recipe.  Here's where I keep the ones that are paper clippings.  Just a binder with some paper in the front sleeve.  I'm pretty much in love with chalkboard 'anything' so this was no exception.


Farm Fresh organic eggs...


I've been playing with my new camera quite a bit and I am working on some photography and editing skills.  I think I'm getting better!  I bought the Nikon 3100 DSLR camera for blogging.  Here's a link below to check it out.

NIKON D3100 - Amazon Link CLICK HERE!


Back to the bananas...
This recipe isn't anything out of the ordinary.  It may actually be from a Betty Crocker Cookbook or something very similar.  When I moved out on my own, I called my mom for a recipe and this is what I wrote down.  I've just always used this recipe since then.


I always use a potato masher to mash my bananas.  To be honest, I'm not sure if other people do that or not??


They sure look beautiful coming out of the oven.  I made two loaves so they are kind of small and didn't rise to the top.  It just makes it easy to have one for my family, and one to give away.   There is usually someone who comes to mind who could use a pick me up.  Maybe a friend or family member having a hard time or some medical issues.  Sometimes I just give it to a neighbor to say hello.  
On this particular day, we welcomed some new neighbors to the neighborhood with one of these loaves.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups of flour (I use all purpose unbleached)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
3-4 ripe mashed bananas
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cooking oil (I use coconut oil - melted)
Lemon peel finely shredded (I use all of one small lemon)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Grease the bottom and sides of a loaf pan. 8x4x2 
2. Combine all wet ingredients, plus sugar in one medium sized bowl. (Vanilla, egg, bananas, sugar, oil, lemon zest)
3.  Combine all dry ingredients in a second medium sized bowl. (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon)
4.  Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until well blended.  The batter will be lumpy.
5.  Add all your batter to your loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes. (or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted)

I usually let it cool about 15 minutes before slicing and serve as is.  OR, you can add cream cheese or butter to it.  Even better, add that while it's warm its to die for.  

I usually try to be good and enjoy just the one slice without anything added if I'm going to splurge.


My kids can usually smell it the minute they walk in the door from school.

Do you have any special banana bread recipes that you have used for years?  Or even another bread recipe?  I love zucchini bread and pumpkin breads too....mmmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy!!!! I have some brown bananas on my counter now. Maybe dinner tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive